Christ Church was organized as Christ Church Stewart Manor in October 1926 at the request of neighborhood people who wanted a Sunday School for their children and a local place for worship. A seminary student from General Theological Seminary was asked to take up the challenge and soon services were being held in a home on Bromleigh Road in Stewart Manor with a vicar in charge.
The present church was erected in1929 and the building was dedicated on February 9, 1930. The church struggled through the Depression and the 1940's then expanded greatly under The Reverend David Williams in the 1950's when the parish house and rectory were built. The stained glass windows were added in the 1960's while The Reverend Richard Winn was rector. He was followed by The Reverend Byron H. Brown, a Mineola native, who remained as rector until his retirement in February 2002. During his tenure, the mortgage was burned, the church was consecrated and the rectory was expanded. Father Brown died on April 30, 2002, his birthday.
The Reverend Debra Low Skinner was the next rector who served for approximately five years. Following a brief tenure of the Reverend Heather Melton, the Rt. Rev. Bishop Provenzano appointed The Rev. Matthew Oprendek as the priest-in-charge. Under his leadership, the church and nursery school have grown in spiritual strength and financial stability. A new monthly Eucharist service on Sunday nights began in October of 2015.
- Phone: (516) 775-2626
- Mailing Address: 33 Jefferson St.; Garden City NY 11530